Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve


Having successfully eluded the friends and family who are a part of my Italian traditional Christmas Eve fete, I call Lindsey to connect with her tonight as part of my safety plan with my therapist. Not being able to leave Christmas Eve night for DC made her nervous that I would be alone and depressed. Because it is so much easier/better to depressed with someone close by. I had told Lindsey all this and we had made a plan, that I would come over and give Jack his present (she had one for me to give , but I wanted to give him the chef set....these facts escaped her when I called. She and Kevin had a reservation at the Outback, wouldn't be home til late. So much for my safety net.....I was encouraged to join them and Max was enthused at the prospect of a large slab of cow so we went. I was feeling shaky so Max drove ( and we had to deliver the Fisherman/Santa to Lauren's house so we took his truck. I was quiet n the ride over. the restaurant was noisy and i was greeted by "V", Lindsey's friend and a former hairdresser of mine. Vanessa (V) is working at the Out Back tonight. She is over the top loud and bawdy in a cheerful and attractive way, she is hard to describe, part Dolly Parton (blonde and built) one part Kathy Griffin (wise cracking quick tongue) and one part sweetheart, that's her. She bring me a Bud Light and Max gets a Guinness.
We order, she takes Jack around the restaurant several times to buy Lindsey some time to eat (truly a full service waitress).
I get teary eyed a few times, and rest my head on Lindsey shoulder, I manage to hold it together, the Bud Light is helping......we finish our meals and I want to go but Lindsey ordered a Ginger Bread martini which we wanted to try, another distraction I am grateful for..... we sip it, it is weird I like the cookies that come with it better than the drink. I had brought Jack's gifts one of which he opened the rest i ave to Linds for Christmas morning. We hug in the parking lot, and head off in our different directions. I wonder if this will be my new tradition Christmas Eve at the Australian Outback. Christmas Eve down under. Christmas Eve down and under the radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment