Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve part 2- Santa Surprise



I had an idea to take the Fisherman statue that Laurie had given me and turn him into a Santa. I spent several nights painting his yellow slicker coat and hat red, layering the paint to get a good color. I also touched up his hat with red and white.
I was making this for my long time friend Lauren. Every year for many many years I had given her a Santa figurine, she collected them and I would go to great lengths to get them, usually buying them in the post Christmas sales for 50% off (they retail around 80 bucks). I hadn't given her a Santa in a long time and especially not a wood carved life sized one.
It is in Max's truck and we try to plan how we are going to get in her yard un spotted. I want this to be a surprise half the fun is Lauren's quandary of figuring out who sent it!
Lauren LOVES Christmas and I suspect has a house full which will either help by causing a distraction or hurt by adding eyes and ears to our covert operation.
We approach on side street, Lauren's House is dead ahead, and NO ONE IS HOME!
I can't believe our luck...... We place "Santa" by the door and scurry away. I wait for her to call but she never does. I facebook her son to put him on alert.
it is not until 2 days later she figures it out. i can't wait to see her to hear about her mental gymnastics to figure out where Santa came from!
This to me was what I think I would like Christmas Eve to be like.....pulling surprises bordering on pranks. Christmas Eve with a twist. Tim Burton may have to be called.

No comments:

Post a Comment