Thursday, November 19, 2009

DC---DECODED

My friend Lauren came over in a reversal of fortune. For years I have been going to her house early bringing DD coffee, we would have a chat fest and reconnect. Time between coffee klatchs lengtyhend as our lives changes and since Chris died. With my work schedule and my grief schedule I haven't been able to get there, although we keep in touch by email and face book it is never the same.
I had recently supported one of her boys endless fundraisers, buying some Christmas gift certificates, the logistics of paying and receiving the same finally came to head, I could do coffee one morning, she could]'t, I tried to stop over one Friday night she was out of town.
FINALLY it cam together and she came over the house after spinning. I had a bottle of red wine ready next to my ever present BL. We talked and caught up. Her son (my new dog sitter for thanksgiving) came over for some final instructions and saw my take one CD which I loaned him to listen to....
As the vening winded down and we became more reflective, Lauren asked me about Christmas. I told her I am going to Washington DC. I explained that I Had wanted to go to the Caribbean for Christmas to go to a place where there were no trees no lights and no stupid Christmas songs like the the ones playing In the Hallmark store.
She smiled little. I told her about looking for flights leaving Logan after 7 PM on Christmas Eve the earliest I could get away,, seeing D as an option, thinking about Max's love of history and all the museums there. It was a win win. I was thinking DC government buidlkings, all federal and gray no green red or white lights..... I reminded her how I hated Christmas and how Chris was always the one who gave me such a wonderful Christmas, always surprising me with the perfect gift. Al sways making each Christmas the best ever. I still never looked froward to Christmas, but he always made each and every Christmas exceed my expectations BIG TIME.0.
She remenered that Chris sister lived there, she asked "doesn't Chris have a relative there?"
I answered "Funny you should ask that, Chris mom mentioned to his sister Endy tha tI would ber there.
Long story short, for the first time in 8 years Wendy will be in Washington for Christmas and she emailed me inviting me to Doug (her boyfriend's) for Christmas dinner, even offering too pick us up at the airport and drive us to our hotel for check in before taking us to Doug's for dinner.
Lauren thought and shared that THIS was my Christmas present from Chris! He guided the reservation to Washington, he knew that Christmas would be every where....Lauren reminded me incredulously asking me "haven't you ever seen the lighting of the national Christmas tree?" It is on national TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment