Sunday, October 4, 2009

Coincidences part 1

Worked on Sunday alone, why not alone at work, alone at home. Might as well get paid.
Had a Hospice referral on a 60 year old woman, for Hospice at home. It was Sunday so I wanted to get the ball rolling .....I didn't review the chart to see what her Diagnosis was, after all I just needed for her to pick a Hospice....I met with her and her husband. She was in bed looked very puffy. Her pink cheeks puffed out against the whit pillows, her straw golden hair spayed out around her. She looked so very young, not 60 at all, certainly looked younger than the 50 year old Social Worker with the gray hair.
Hello, I said introducing myself in a rehearsed I have said this a 100 times way, I am Karen the Sunday Social Worker and I understand that your Doctor has written a Hospice consult.
Yes said the patient, we are having a hard time at home, breathing hard as she spoke. Even with oxygen she was breathless....I immediately thought of Chris last days and the oxygen we had at the house, I was frightened I didn't think she would be this end stage, but then again, she was young what did I think?????
Taking over for his wife the husband asked me how the referral process would proceed, and what to expect.
Deep breath in I explained that there were various forms of Hospice, from palliative, to bridge care to end of life care. Not wanting to scare them I asked " where are you in your treatment?"
The patient thought I meant geographically and answered, "sarcoma clinic at Dana Farber"
IT can't be I thought, no way......that where Chris was treated.......my lips started to go numb, a panic attack on the verge. I swallow hard,wanting to run, but wanting to know is it GIST?
"What type of sarcoma do you have"?
Retinol pericardiom, the tumor is wrapped around my heart, my doctor is Dr. Butrinski.
I feel relief that it isn't a GIST, but I know Dr. B he treated Chris when Dr. Morgan was on vacation. It is a weird coincidence and I sort of like it, but sort of don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment