Wednesday, April 28, 2010

dear chris.....

last time I wrote I just wrote that I didn't want to be alone, although I seldom am, what I really meant is that I WANTED chris.....back in my life, here to talk to. Impossible relationships, my special gift (Richard Gere is in my head again). I can talk to Chris, through letters, here....maybe he will answer back.

Dear Chris:
I hope you are enjoying the transformation of the deck railing. I think it is quite spectacular, although is is not "up to code" or "historical". The poor carpenter has been so nervous about not pulling a permit and being caught by the building inspector that I gave him an Ativan last week. (I think it was more about his girlfriend problems...but I will get to that later).
I remembered when I had the inside stair rail done as a father's day present for you. We had been constantly working on the house, and had had all the walls plastered. You were investigating different approaches to the railing to make it less early American and more us. Unbeknownst to you I hired a carpenter to come in and look at the pictures you had earmarked in your magazines and decorator books (metro sexual that you are). In a matter of hours the railing was done and I saved you a whole weekend of work. You were very surprised and I think you really liked it (although you didn't like that it cost over $1400.00.
The deck railing replicates the inside railing. It has PVC sleeves over the old posts and the metal wire in between. I am thrilled that it means no more painting! John (the carpenter) even made a wide top for your stereo speakers and drink!
Only one small part had to be wood but other wise it is maintenance free!
It looks great and I have been wondering what you would have though of it. It was the original railing the Dave put up and was always a mess. You didn't have any ideas when it came to replacing it and there is always the code/historic issues. Well now it is done. I hope you love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment